Although I have only been on the Central American backpacker circuit for about one week I have already learned some essential truths that all Go! Girl travelers should adhere to for a solid trip. They came to me last night as I was basking in my hostel’s amazing hot shower, overlooking Lago Atitlan in Guatemala. Not the same as Moses, but hey, it works!
1. Thou shalt not covet they neighbors bed; the next place you stop you will indeed be blessed with a better bed. Be grateful, you are traveling!
2. Thou shalt shave legs and wash hair when hot water is present…who knows when the next hot shower will be….or if the best beach in Costa Rica will happen before that moment.
3. Honor thy street food vendor and Imodium.
4. Thou shalt accept the help of men, where chivalry is not dead, because that pack is damn heavy!
5. Thou shant ever eat McDonalds in country. Exceptions shall be granted for extreme homesickness.
6. Accept tampons from the kindness of fellow lady backpackers and also be willing to share in the riches of feminine products.
7. Thou shalt appreciate economies of scale; support the local economy and know when it is appropriate to bargain down.
8. Thou shant not steal; only “borrow” what has been left behind…even if it has only been five minutes.
9. Thou shalt always let her hair blow in the foreign breeze, keep holy the siesta, and carry a journal in her pack.
10. Thou shalt be grateful for the liberation of travel; you only get one shot at this life.