In Western Finland, the summer days are slowly dwindling. Days feel more like autumn and sunsets come earlier, a trend that will continue until there are just a few hours of daylight each day. One of the best things I have learned from living in Finland is to take advantage of those beautiful summer days!
Even though it’s coming to an end, here are a few ideas to make the most of summer:
- Grill and Have Picnics Anywhere You Can: In Finland, I enjoy grilling out after a relaxing sauna. But you don’t need a sauna to enjoy it, so find a grill wherever you are, gather some friends and share a picnic outdoors.
- Take Day Trips Hiking or Bicycling: Find the trails in your area or take a drive to a nearby town to explore new hiking or biking trails. If you’re stuck inside all day, make it a shorter trip after work and pack a picnic dinner while there is still daylight to enjoy.
- Travel: Get out and see the world while it’s warm and beautiful. We just stumbled across a new website called Dealchecker that helps you compare flights, hotels and car rentals across Europe.
- Enjoy Water Sports While You Can: Depending where you’re located, many of these water activities close after the summer season. Explore local places to rent kayaks, canoes or jet skis. Pack a picnic for a break along the way.
- Play Outdoor Games: In Finland it’s Mölkky, where I’m from in the States it’s Cornhole (a.k.a. bean bag toss). And there is probably a different game where you live. Gather a group and create a tournament.
- Find an Outdoor Adventure Park: I recently found a place for tree climbing and it was quite an experience. See if there are any outdoor parks in your area. This is a good excuse to try something new!