For the last year or two, I’ve been reading the blog of a woman named Maggie Mason, who has been encouraging the world to make life lists.
The idea behind it is simple: in order to live a full and happy life, you need to put into action plans to do and see the things that you want to do and see!
The first step for putting your dreams into action is to make them real.
So often, we see an epic trip to Africa or an annual celebration in Thailand and think “I’d love to do that.”
But then we forget, and we never go.
Writing it down can make it real in a way that just thinking about it can’t. Writing it down is a resolution. Writing it down is a plan for action!
Last year, at the behest of Maggie, I made my life list, and while I don’t have enough money for extended travel right now, I have been progressing through the smaller things.
And I know that this should not have been a huge revelation, but it totally was:
Doing things that make me happy has made my life better! More fun! Full of adventure and excitement!
All because I made a point of writing these things down and began focusing my energy on actually making them happen.
The things I have accomplished thus far have not all been big and life-changing. Some are tiny. Some are just for me. Some are for my husband. Some are for my health. Some are for my friends.
Things that I have completed and/or started thus far include:
- I got a dog!
- I purchased a bathing suit that is flattering and will last a long time!
- I took 100 portraits of people I loved!
- I got rid of 100 things! (and then I started on the next 100)
- I began paying off my credit card debt!
- I got health insurance!
- I got glasses!
- I had a clothing swap with my friends!
- I passed Statistics!
Some of my goals are long-term.
For example, one of my goals is to send flowers to twenty of my friends for no reason at all.
So far, I have sent flowers to three.
These things all sound so simple, but I may not have done any of them if I hadn’t bothered to write the list, committing my ideas to paper (or at least computer screen) instead of letting them waft away with other fleeting thoughts.
Some of the bigger things on my list include:
- Travel to Mauritius (a tiny island nation off the coast of Africa and the only known habitat of the now-extinct Dodo Bird)
- Stay at Pantanal Wildlife Center in Brazil
- Go on the 4 in 1 Siam Safari in Thailand
- Go to Turtle Island Park in Borneo
- Dive with whale sharks in Australia
- Go to Capetown, South Africa and stay at the Grand Daddy Hotel in a Penthouse Trailer
There are a lot of things I want to do, and only one life to do them in!
So today, traveling ladies, I challenge you to make your own list!
It can be three things or three thousand! Dream big! Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t think you can do it, just write it down.
And don’t be mean to yourself.
These are things that are supposed to make you happy, not make you feel guilty. Have fun. Invite people over and make your lists together! And I want to hear all about it!
What do you want to do?